This is a short post, with some quick info about Microsoft’s newest upcoming server operating system.
In case you haven’t heard, Microsoft is moving along nicely on Windows Server 2019. It’s filled with new features and improvements to features introduced in previous releases. Here are few I’m excited about:
- Deduplication added to ReFS volumes (it already existed on NTFS) that has up to a 94% reduction in storage space used. 94%!!
- Support for Linux operating systems in shielded virtual machines.
- Windows Defender ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) and Exploit Guard on the server.
- Windows Server Software Defined Solutions, validated and certified for your hyperconvergence plans. Seriously. If you haven’t been looking into hyperconverged infrastructure now is the time. The days of separate compute, storage and networking are disappearing.
- Remote Direct Memory Access via up to 100GB Ethernet, with tests up to 400GB and plans to take it all the way to 1TB. I’M NOT EVEN KIDDING!
- Crazy simple Azure Based Disaster Recovery for any VM, irrespective of the guest OS.
- Updates to the Windows Admin Center tool to better manage your hybrid infrastructure.
Plus, way too many others to list. Check out this 18-minute video for more details. Oh, and Windows Server Insiders can download Windows Server 2019 Preview Builds.