Would you like to create and deliver rich Internet applications and media experiences on the Web? How great would it be to have a full suite of powerful features, bringing innovative platform capabilities to browser-based experiences?
Our students have found the answer! Silverlight 4 not only provides all of these conveniences, but provides an ideal platform for developing and deploying modern business applications for both internal and end-user applications on both sides of the firewall.
What does Silverlight 4 do for application developers?
· Comprehensive printing support now enables the creation of a virtual print view, enabling applications to deliver print-friendly documents.
· A full set of controls with more than 60 customizable, skinnable components makes it easy to build forms that can be sorted, resized and validated. New controls include RichTextArea with hyperlinks, images and editing.
· Localization enhancements with bidirectional text, right-to-left support and complex scripts such as Arabic, Hebrew and Thai and 30 new languages.
· The Microsoft .NET Framework Common Language Runtime (CLR) now enables the same compiled code to be run both on the server and the client, reducing development time and testing resources.
· Enhanced databinding support reduces the amount of code needed to work with customized data for display.
· Managed Extensibility Framework supports building completely modular applications, allowing for fast startup and download, efficient development and testing, as well as agile customization and servicing.
· Windows Communication Foundation RIA Services introduces enterprise class networking and data access, allowing applications to work with any source of data and any server.
· Extensive tooling support for Silverlight, new in Visual Studio 2010:
· Fully editable design surface for drawing out controls and layouts
· Rich property grid and new editors for values
· Drag and drop support for databinding and automatically creating bound controls such as listbox and datagrid
· New datasources window and picker
· Easy-to-pick styles and resources to make a good-looking application based on designer resources built in Expression Blend
· Built-in project support for Silverlight applications
· Editor with full IntelliSense for XAML and C# and Visual Basic languages
How does Silverlight 4 empower richer experiences?
· Enhanced animation capabilities allow for more dynamic, interactive presentation of data in lists.
· Webcam and microphone support allow sharing of video and audio in applications such as chat and customer service.
· Audio and video local recording capabilities capture RAW video without requiring server interaction, allowing new scenarios such as capturing voice or video to send in e-mail, or allowing the recording to be edited locally before saving.
· Copy/paste and drag-and-drop make it easy to bring photos, text and other data into your application.
· New features such as right-click and mouse wheel scrolling enable developers to add conventional desktop interaction models.
· Silverlight 4 runs across all platforms and major browsers.
· Silverlight 4 applications start quicker and run 200 percent faster than the equivalent Silverlight 3 applications with performance optimizations.
· Multitouch support enables a range of gestures and touch interactions to be integrated into user experiences.
· Multicast networking enables enterprises to lower the cost of streaming broadcast events such as company meetings and training, with seamless interoperability with existing Windows Media Services streaming infrastructure.
· Content protection now available for H.264 media through Silverlight DRM powered by PlayReady.
· Output protection for audio/video streams allowing content owners or distributors to ensure protected content is only viewed through a secure video connection.
· Official support of the Google Chrome browser
· Hardware acceleration for Deep Zoom
· XAP signing and verification to ensure application integrity
Would you like to join those developers who have already started creating and delivering rich Internet applications and media experiences on the Web? Join LRS Education Services for MS10554: Developing Rich Internet Applications using Silverlight 4 on October 31st, 2011 at our Bloomington, IL facility or attend virtually from anywhere!